At the end of this unit students should be able to:
(a) Describe the historical, socio-cultural, religious and political setting of first-century Palestine as the context of Jesus’ life and ministry.
(b) Identify both the distinctive features of the four gospels and also the interrelationships between them
(c) Sketch the identity and life of Jesus, with an emphasis on his designations and titles, as well as the passion and resurrection narratives.
(d) Outline the message and ministry of Jesus as found in his emphasis on the Kingdom of God, use of parables, ethical teaching and miracles.
(e) Make comments on the significance of Jesus and the Gospels for contemporary life and ministry.
Jesus’ life and ministry, with special reference to the following:
(a) Context and setting:
- The historical, socio-cultural, religious and political setting of first century Palestine
(b) One Gospel and four Gospels:
- A detailed study of one or more gospels
- Distinctive features of the Gospels
- The interrelationship of the Gospels
(c) The identity and life of Jesus:
- The designations and titles of Jesus
- The passion and resurrection narratives
(d) The message and ministry of Jesus:
- The Kingdom of God in the proclamation of Jesus
- The significance and interpretation of the parables
- The ethics of Jesus, including the Sermon on the Mount
- The miracles of Jesus and their significance
(e) Reflection (through a-d) on the significance of Jesus Christ for contemporary life and ministry
Course begins: 26 Feb 2018
Course ends: 15 June 2018
Registration deadline: 19 Feb 2018