Early Church History takes a look at the life of the church (its struggles, persecution and consolidation) through the first five centuries AD.
1. Introduction to Early Church History
2. Apostles and ‘Apostolic Fathers’
3. Challengers and Champions: Heresies in the first centuries
4. Christian Life: 2nd and 3rd centuries
5. The Hour of Trial: Persecutions of the Early Church
6. A New Era: Accepted and Respected
7. Trinitarian Controversies
8. Men and Women of East and West
9. The Road to Chalcedon: Christological Controversies
10. Popes, Monks and Missionaries
* Prerequisite: Please complete the foundational Bible Overview course before registering for this one.
Fridays 8pm - 10pm
Begin: 14 June 2019
End: 16 August 2019
Deadline: 14 June 2019
1) New Bible Dictionary (J. D. Douglas, (ed.), Leicester: IVP, 2nd ed., 1982)
2) New International Dictionary of the Christian Church (J. D. Douglas, (ed.), Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1978).
3) H. R. Boer, A Short History of the Early Church (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1976)
4) F. F. Bruce, The Spreading Flame (Carlisle: Paternoster Press, 1982)
5) H. Chadwick, The Early Church (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1993)
6) C. Fitzsimons Allison, The Cruelty of Heresy (London: SPCK, 1994)
7) W. H. C. Frend, The Early Church (London: SCM, 2nd ed., 1982)
8) J. Stevenson, (ed.) revised by W. H. C. Frend, A New Eusebius (London: SPCK, 1957, rev. 1987)
9) J. Stevenson, (ed.) revised by W. H. C. Frend, Creeds, Councils and Controversies (London: SPCK, 1989)
Plan ahead with the list of upcoming term courses.